7.11.2012

Happy Tears

Last day. Tears for sure, but I have prayed that I wouldn't only cry my way through this day. Kindly, Natalie treated me to one more field trip, even though she wasn't feeling a 100% today. We walked to the other side of the Old City and out to the Jerusalem Archaeological Park. The ruins there go back more than 2000 years. We sat on the actual steps that would have been present when Jesus dwelt  in this area. He walked there. He taught there. God Himself became man and lived among us. His perfect life, ultimately, was offered for a covering for my iniquities. I am grateful.

We enjoyed lunch out. Where there is a good crowd, usually good food can be found. Delicious schwarma! A must have if you ever visit. Then we headed back toward Shevet.

I had one more thing I wanted to pick up in the Christian quarter before I left , so we did one last swing through one of the most interesting shopping places I  have ever experienced. These are things I have heard from shopkeepers or vendors in the last 3 weeks...

"How many camels for your daughter?" -Shopkeeper in Jerusalem

Vendor: "Are you sisters?"

Shopkeeper: "Let me show you my shop.
Natalie: "No, thank you."
Shopkeeper: "I will never forgive you."

Shopkeeper: "Your twins!"

Vendor: "Young ladies, may I show you my goods?"

Shopkeeper: "Would you like to see my goods?"
Natalie: "No"
Shopkeeper: "Why are you so sad? You need to smile?"

My time here has been as precious as I could have hoped. Just spending three weeks with my daughter, serving together has been worth it all. She has been gracious in giving up the lower bunk and doing the acrobatics necessary to make it to the top bunch each night for my good. We've shared good life discussions at the local coffee shop. I have watched her enjoy the "game" of communicating with people you don't share a common language with and she is good at it. I freeze up in fear a bit each time I am put in this situation. I have heard her say, "I don't mind"  to doing the behind the scenes, less desirable jobs. Mostly, I have valued just being at the friend stage of life, serving the Lord together.

I expect more tears tonight as I say good-bye to her and my new friends here at Shevet. Each is a treasure. But so are my family and friends back home. So I am going from blessed place to blessed place. Happy tears. God is good.


1 comment:

  1. I have enjoyed reading your blog throughout your trip Candance. Thanks for sharing this amazing journey.

    ReplyDelete